Re: Telltales

Kellan Hatch (khatch@uswest.net)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:41:48 -0600

Larry Costas wrote:

> Just measured the sails for my P-19 and found the measurements for
> locating the telltales: Lapper, 11" back from the leading edge.
> Standard Jib, 9" back. These seem to work for me, but I won't make
> the claim that they are the perfect locations.

What about the main? I followed the instructions that came with my
telltales and placed them about 10" back from luff on lapper, working
jib and main. The ones on the main seem marginally useful there and now

I'm getting the feeling that all they're doing is serving as a moron
flag to tell the other sailors to stay out of my way. I crewed on an
80-mile race a couple of weeks ago and the boat I was on had mylar sails

that seemed to have telltales placed randomly, but mostly along the
leech.

Kellan Hatch
P-19 #1059, Moondance
Great Salt Lake, Utah