Re: outboard motor problems

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:33:42 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/99 10:01:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
blackhaw@email.msn.com writes:

> Hi Potters
>
> I have an '88 4 h.p. Evinrude motor on my P15. The motor wasn't used
during
> the winter and gas was left in the can which was in the garage, no fuel
> stabilizer. I launched the boat at Tahoe Monday and the motor started
> easily and ran fine for about 5 minutes, then quit. It would start and run
> for a minute or so then quit and finally wouldn't start. I brought it
home,
> changed the plugs which were fouled, and replaced the gas. It did the same
> thing in the test barrel. Anyone know somewhere on the Web where I can get
> some good troubleshooting info? My manual doesn't address this specific
> problem. I am no good at two-stroke diagnosis. Any tips would be
> appreciated.
>
> Jeff Hyett
> P!5 Moi Moi
> Reno, NV

Hi Jeff,

Please excuse this suggestion but...

We had a very reliable 1992 twin cylinder 4 HP Evinrude on our P19 and one
day it started to behave exactly like you described. My husband David is the
outboard guru on our boat; not me, so I kept quiet for a while. [yes, that
actually happens occassionally ;^) ]

He tinkered with it, reprimed the fuel, restarted it, and it ran for 5
minutes before quitting again. My simple understanding of the situtation
prompted me to ask a simple question -- "Is the tank vent open?" Ran
perfectly after he opened the vent.

Best,
Judy B