Re: Ballast

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:57:54 -0400

Gordon wrote:

> That was on a P19. The consensus, as voiced by the manufacturer and many
> P19 owners, was that it was a bad idea. On the positive side, a lighter
> daggerboard could be raised with a tackle instead of a winch, and raising
> the light daggerboard would not raise the center of gravity so seriously as
> does raising the heavy daggerboard. But with the steel daggerboard down,
> the P19 seems to approach the stability of a keelboat.

East Coasties and Web Gang:

There was a fellow who lived in Bethany Beach, DE, who had a P19 whose steel
daggerboard was removed and he was using a plywood board that could be raised
and lowered by hand. He sold the boat to a subscriber on this list who lives in
FL. Anyway, I had the opportunity to talk with him about how it sailed with the
lighter board before he sold it, and as best I recall, he indicated that his
experiences were largely favorable, although there were two observations he made
that were interesting:

1) the wood daggerboard needed to be "weighted" to some degree to prevent it
from trying to float up the trunk

2) the boat didn't seem to point as well with the lighter daggerboard

He also stressed that he did not push the boat hard with the lighter
daggerboard, because he was conscious of the loss of righting moment without the
heavier steel daggerboard.

The cabin was remarkably clutter free without the steel daggerboard though..
But, I am positive that this particular sailboat was converted back to steel
daggerboard upon its arrival in FL.

"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President
East Coast Potter Association (ECPA)
Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor
s/v Aqua (sailing the greater Chesapeake region)
"Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM
"Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM