Re: Asymmetrical tack fitting

Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:45:32 -0400

Greetings, all:
After some further research, I will admit that there is a body of evidence
in favor of fixing an assymetrical spinnaker to the forestay, and gybing it
inside. My method, attaching the tack to an adjustable line and gybing the
sail outside the forestay was given to me by the San Diego North Loft when I
bought a Gennaker® from that loft. It now appears, some 9 years later, that
with wider acceptance, assymetrical spinnakers have evolved into two camps,
one of which treats the sail as a "ballon genoa", a usage which has origins
in the days of J boat racing, and the other, which treats the sail as a
"poleless spinnaker." The latter camp traces its lineage, I am told, from
the Australian sport boats of the 1980s. The situation is not made easier
by introduction of proprietary terms, such as the above mentioned "Gennaker®
."

To fly an assymetrical spinnaker as a "poleless spinnaker" as I do, requires
an adjustable line attached to the tack. For poleless operation, this line
passes through a block ahead of the forestay as far as possible. I have one
attached to the end of the anchor roller. From the block, the line leads aft
through fairleads to a camcleat on the stbd cockpit coaming. The head of
the sail goes to the masthead, and 2 sheets twice the length of the boat are
required. The sheets must be led outside of all rigging. Hoisting is
simply a matter of getting the head up to the masthead before the sail fills
(keep plenty of slack in the working sheet). After the sail is hoisted,
adjust the tack line and the sheet together to get the fastest shape
(experimenting required.) The tackline allows the tack to rise up as the
sail fills, and also to carry out ahead of the boat (farther away from the
main in better air.) Gybing this rig (you can't tack with it) requires that
the clew pass ahead of the forestay, or a !@#$% is guaranteed. On Kelpie,
it's a 2 person job. After a gybe, the opposite side of the sail is exposed
to the wind (lessens the wear :-) .) Takedown is not difficult, I just
blow the sheet and haul in the tackline until I can get a handful of cloth
and start wadding it up. When the clew is aboard, blow the halyard and
stuff the whole mess down the foredeck hatch. Leave everthing connected and
shut the hatch. That way if you need to rehoist there will be no wraps.

An innovative use for the sail was developed by the Kiwis. It involves a
short pole, pivoted on the bow ahead of the forestay, through which the
tackline is reeved. This pole requires another line ["guy"] to pull it aft.
When flown in this manner, the tack is well out from the centerline
athwartships, and thus the sail is less influenced by the shadow of the
main, allowing you to sail nearly dead downwind with a sail which is cut
flat enough for use (sans pole) on a close reach. Just pop the pole from
the tack line, haul in the tack line and you are reaching.

Disadvantages for a P19: You do have to go to the bow, and the steersperson
must be reliable.
Advantages: Much better performance downwind, and it looks way cool.

I will now leave it to Rye to describe the "balloon genoa" option.
Regards, and hope this clarifies rather than muddies,
Mac Davis, Kelpie, WWP19#804, Aripeka, Fl