Re: Green Scum

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:09:07 -0400

Kellan,

I had brown scum on my boat that several cleaners wouldn't
take off, some had been on the boat since I bought it 3 years
ago. Soft Scrub wouldn't budge it. I bought something at a
local power boat store called ON & OFF, made by:

Marikate Ship Shape, Inc.
P. O. Box 150
Bohemia, NY 11716-0150

It is Biodegradable, contains No Phosphates. It DOES contain
CORROSIVES. HYDROCHLORIC ACID and OXALIC ACID. Requires you
to wear heavy rubber gloves and goggles and DON'T breath it.
Don't get it on metal, it eats it too. It claims to remove
browning water line stains, rust, and algae stains.

BUT, it works. You brush it on and hose it off and it works
just about that fast. I cleaned my boat sides and the bottom
at the bow in less than 30 minutes. It took off almost all of
the stain. From a few feet away you can still see a light
stain, but it looks SO MUCH better. It came in a quart and I
probably used 1/2 pt. The only thing I have found that works.
I just checked, and West Marine had it in 1997 catalog P428,
$9.49; BOAT/US has it on P318 of 1999 catalog, $9.49.

I don't intend to use it routinely, but it made the boat look
better than it ever has since I bought it (used).

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626
Mountains of Virginia

Would you believe we finally got 7/10 in of rain and it was
high of 65 degrees today. Is this really July? Oh yes, must
be, it was over 100 a few days ago!