Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings - Bearing buddies don't always work -

SolarFry@aol.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:39:36 EDT

Having trashed a few bearing buddy equipped trailers due to bearing failure I
would suggest (seriously now...) that you pull the suckers out at least once
a year and repack them with fresh grease bearing buddies or not. Definitely
repack before any trip over 100 miles.

Best
Solar Fry

In a message dated 7/20/99 12:38:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
seustace@flash.net writes:

<< Subj: Re: Trailer Wheel Bearings
Date: 7/20/99 12:38:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From: seustace@flash.net (Steve and Linda Eustace)
To: neumannr@gte.net (Richard Neumann)
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com (Potter List)

Richard,

I don't have a lot of experience with salt water, but I do have some
experience with Bearing Buddies, and all I can say is that there's a lot they
don't tell you when you install them. I see lot's of boat trailers sitting
along the side of the road here in Texas, and I would bet that most of them
are suffering from bearing failure even though they have Bearing Buddies.

The most important thing to know about Bearing Buddies is that you should
keep
them adequately filled with grease, and you should let them cool off before
submerging them in water. The effect of the cool water on the warm hub is to
create a vacuum which draws water into the hub. I always carry a grease gun
filled with waterproof marine wheel bearing grease, so that I can make sure
the hubs are adequately filled before submerging them. You don't want to
overfill them, but you do want to make sure there is enough grease in the hub
to tension the diaphragm on the Bearing Buddy.

As for the salt water, I would rinse the trailer thoroughly with fresh water
after each use. Even galvanized trailers can rust if not properly cared for.

Best regards,

Steve Eustace
Euless, Texas
P-15 # 1157, Kokopelli 2