Re: wind indicator

Rdement1@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:48:53 EDT

james nolan wrote:
<< I'd like to
> adjust my wind vane so that it reads true wind rather than apparent wind.

It's not possible.

richard.fletcher@worldnet.att.net wrote:

<< Unless you had inputs for your vessels speed and direction as well as the
apparent wind speed and direction, I don't think you can calculate the true
wind. >>

That is correct (although you don't need the apparent wind *speed* to
calculate true wind direction)

Autohelm, Navico, B&G, and others make sailing instruments, and one that
gives you a true wind reading will run you about $700 (cheapie) to $1300 for
the package. (Display unit, speed transducer, masthead 'ornament', electronic
compass) Racing yachts ('yacht' in the big & expensive sense of the word) use
such instruments. Unless you are racing (for money?), it might not be worth
the cost.

Cheers,

Russ deMent
Silverdale,WA