Re: Hardshell crabs

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 11:20:23 -0400

Ted Duke wrote:

> FWIW: I would NOT venture to say that anyone else is wrong.
> However, where I come from in Southern Maryland we steamed
> crabs. We placed some kind of a collender or something in the
> bottom of a large pot to keep the crabs out of the water. We
> added Old Bay seasoning to taste (some like a lot, some do
> not) and when the water was boiling we threw the squirming
> snapper guys into the pot where they steamed, not boiled. We
> NEVER cooked ones that were not alive. Crabs spoil in a NY
> minute (whatever that is?). Some like to add a beer to the
> water, I usually do.

East Coasties and Web Gang:

How Ted describes it above is how we prepare crabs here on the Eastern
Shore, which is nothing but agriculture and crabbing! (g) Steamed
crabs aren't soggy, and you never cook dead crabs.

We have drought conditions here on the Eastern Shore as well; it is
anticipated that there will be a significant hay shortage at harvest.
Corn is taking a beating over here too.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor s/v Aqua (sailing the greater Chesapeake region) "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM "Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM