Re: 3" Solar Vent - Cockpit hatch installation/auxilliary gudgeons

SolarFry@aol.com
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:07:36 EDT

Mike:

Thank you for your reply.

>From your message I gather, best thing to do is to mount vent on sliding
hatch off center. That way boom and/or lowered mast would not cast a shadow
over vents solar array. Also it would not interfere with mast lowered but
still attached to pedestal. I guess about 4" offset either side would be
good. What do you think?

Did you make a base so it would be even with top of hatch ridges? I made a
small base with 3/8" plywood and plan to attach to hatch with gobs of Marine
Tex. This way vent pipe will not protrude into bottom of hatch preventing it
from opening or closing all way to end.

Best
Solar Fry

JJFalkanger and MacDavis:

Thanks for reply on auxilliary gudgeons

I intalled new auxilliary gudgeons (cut from Aluminum L angles) for mast
support immediately towards motor mount, next to existing gudgeons but
slightly higher. That way I can keep mast support in place with mast down and
still use rudder when transversing under local non raising bridge. Rudder
seems to work ok there as I cannot turn rudder all the way against motor
without bashing prop. With mast support in place and rudder up, rudder blade
will turn against motor just about 1/2" from prop so it also serves as a
rudder blade saver.

Gudgeons cost me about 5 bucks and I still have about 2' of aluminum L angle
left for another project. I had to use 1/4" x 1 1/2" stainless bolts to hold
gudgeons in place. They appear sturdy enough to hold about 80lbs of load each.

Still have not done a thing about installing those longer genoa sail tracks.
IT is so darned hot I cannot get enough courage to stand out there in blazing
solar furnace and work on it.

Again thanks for reply.

>Original Query on 3" vent install:
>Has anyone installed the Nicro Fico 2000 vent in the cockpit sliding hatch?

In a message dated 7/27/99 7:26:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mcalva@ix.netcom.com writes:

Yea. that's were I installed mine. The two problems with that location
are...

1) with the mast down the hatch won't quite slide all the way open. This
probably won't affect you as I have the short rig and never remove the mast
from the "tabernacle", but just pivot it backwards to trailer.

2) with the mast in the down position, it casts enough of a shadow on the
vent to prevent it from running.

But I have found that when I leave the boat rigged and in the water It's a
great place and provides circulation even with the hatch closed.

Mike Calva
"Panacea" P19 #719 (KC0FXZ)