Re: Attaching transom ladder

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:11:36 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/99 3:22:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time, duffy@maui.com
writes:

> As I prepared to do this, however, it suddenly occurred to me that
> the rubber washers were probably on the motor mount installation for
> their vibration dampening (and load-spreading) characteristics
> rather than their sealing characteristics. Obviously vibration is not
> an issue with the ladder.
>
> I was wondering if I'd be better off by omitting the rubber washers,
> and whether the polysulfide will be okay with the rubber.

Hi duffy,

As far as I know, you don't need rubber washers for the ladder -- lalrge SS
fender washers ( or better yet, a backing plate) will be fine all alone. I
don't really know if polysulfide eat rubber or not.

Easy does it on the tightening. The first day, very lightly tighten the
bolts, stopping one or two turns before they are fully tightened down. Use
your wrist, not your arm for this amount of force.

Wipe off any excess caulk with alcohol. Let it cure 24-36 hours. Then go
back and tighten one or two turns. This will form a pressured gasket.
Tighten to 15-20 foot pounds -- With a ten-twelve inch wrench, I'd say I
probably put about 15-20 pounds of effort into it. No need to be really
tight, just snug.

Best,
Judy