Re: In need of advice

Richard Fletcher (richard.fletcher@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:33:46 -0400

Giorgos,
I'm happy for you about the upcoming purchase of your Potter. I'm a
novice sailor as well so I feel I can offer you some advice. Everyone
will have a different opinion on things so listen to all.

1. The boom vang - I don't think they are an absolute necessity. I
don't have one right now and I'm spending my time learning to read the
sails and the wind now, though I may add a vang in the future. I look
at it more as a fine tuning device. The boom vang allows you to control
the shape of the sail by pulling down on the boom with the vang.

2. The whisker pole lets you hold out the jib so you can run wing and
wing down wind. I'd get one, if I were buying new. You have the
mainsail boom on one side of the boat and use the whisker pole to hold
the jib out on the other side of the boat. That way you can have all of
your sails in the wind when you are running down wind.

3. I'm not sure about the sunshade/bimini. I'll be interested in what
the others have to say because I'm thinking about one myself.

4. I'm not sure what part of the mast you would support with the mast
crutch but I'll tell you what I'm doing. I support the mast on the bow
pulpit and I have a support at the stern that holds it out of contact
with the cabin. My P15 has been trailered from Connecticut to coastal
North Carolina and to Central NC with out a problem. It's still
straight when it's on the step so I don't think you would have any
trouble trailering it.

Best of Luck and Good Winds,
Dick Fletcher
P15 #667, Entropy