Re: Operating a P-15 from the cockpit

Ron Force (rforce@moscow.com)
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:50:26 -0700

Jeff Goller wrote:

<snip>

> . What I learned is this:

> <snip>
>
> 3) MOST IMPORTANT: Never go forward on this boat.
> I have rigged a jib down haul, replaced my mast cleats with blocks and
> installed new cleats further back on the cabin roof, so the main and jib
> can be completely operated/raised/lowered without having to leave the
> cockpit.

This is somewhat extreme. I go forward to change the headsails while
underway. As long as you keep your weight centered (and the centerboard is
down) there shouldn't be a problem.

> Now, here is my question for you all: There is one thing I can not
> figure out how to do from the cockpit : Drop the anchor!
>
> Assuming that I don't want to go forward to mess with the anchor, what
> kind of thing-a-majigs can I rig from the cockpit to do the anchor
> dropping, raising and securing. This one really has me over a barrel.
> I have the anchor line running through the vent on the foredeck.

There's some threads about anchoring in the archives. I keep my anchor and
line in a bucket, deploy it from the cockpit, then go forward to attach it
to the cleat after the anchor is set.

Given your unfortunate experience, I can see why you'd be skittish about
capsize. However, the Potter 15 is really a very stable boat for its size.
As long as the centerboard is down, you really can move about pretty freely.

--
Ron  Force
rforce@moscow.com