Re: P19 Traveler

theodore f. boyer (freelanc@execpc.com)
Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:14:50 -0500

Dear Bill Grove,
I have rigged and sailed dingys that had that type of set up. It really does work nicely, giving more stability because the mainsheet force vector tends to pull sidewise instead of pulling the gunwale right over the top, so one could walk the hull, really a great ride. As you mentioned there is one drawback, the clearance for a tip up rudder, which needs the lever action of the tiller to force the rudder down.
So the bar (or even a port to starboard taught line with pulley riding on it) would have to be up high on the transom.
By the way how was the ride across Lake Michigan in your P19 Hafvila? What was the distance taken?
Ted-Milwaukee WWPotteer19 "Sea Breeze"