Re: WWP-19 Outboard Motors - 3.5 HP

SolarFry@aol.com
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 17:54:31 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/99 10:03:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, etj@nwlink.com
writes:

<< Subj: RE: WWP-19 Outboard Motors
Date: 8/7/99 10:03:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From: etj@nwlink.com (Eric Johnson)
To: hlg@pacbell.net, wwpotter@tscnet.com

<snip>

> You may be able to strengthen your transom to allow leaving a 4 or 5 hp
> mounted so you wouldn't have to take it on and off, but there are
> conflicting opinions about the wisdom of trailering with the
> motor mounted.

I'll do some experiments today on that. I'm heading out in a few minutes
from Seattle to Flathead Lake - 500 miles, 3 mountain passes. I'm leaving
the motor attached, but I've wrapped a dockline around the back of the
motor, and tightened it up with a trucker's hitch. The line should take the
bulk of the fore-and-aft movement of the motor, so the motor mount only
needs to support the weight vertically. I've done short trips like this and
it works well. In fact, I've done the whole trip with just the motor on the
mount with no reinforcements! But it does bounce around a lot when I've done
that.

If you get an email from me tonite saying I left my motor and mount and part
of the transom somewhere in Idaho (near Windsong's skidmarks.. heh heh) then
you know my experiment failed :)

> Has anyone here used a 2 hp or 3 hp on a P19?

I've got a 1953 Elgin 2hp I've been curious to try, but I've never done it.

I used a 3.5 Hp Nissan for about a month. It moves oK but will not move
against strong currents (4+ MPH) or strong winds (15MPH+) and will not stop
even turned around completely and floored... I opted for an 8HP Nissan that
works pretty good against all currents and wind speeds.

Best
SF