P-15 not as stable as I thought?

Cosens, Eric D (ecosens@indiana.edu)
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:07:06 -0500

I've been researching Potters for a month or so and have been following this
list. I had my heart set on a P-15. I even thought about getting a new
P-15 given IM's special deal last month, but ended up getting a 1988
Montgomery 15 (http://www.norseayachts.com/mont15.html) just because I
couldn't find a used Potter (sorry) for a few weeks and the price on the
M-15 ($2,500) was way too good to pass up. I still follow this list since
I'm thinking the P19 may be a possibility if I ever upgrade to a larger
boat.

This is the first I've heard of the P-15's being unstable if you go up on
the bow (actually the original note was sent last week sometime). Can they
really be destabilized and even tip over by going up on the foredeck and
getting "goofy"? What about with the P19's? I've been all over the
topsides on my M-15 and there's no way I can do anything to tip it by just
putting my body in the wrong spot. Of course, it's a combination stub
keel/centerboard design (with 275# ballast in the keel) that draws 15" with
the board up. Maybe this is just a trade off for a boat with beachable
draft.

Answers? Thoughts?

Regards,
Eric