Re: adding flotation to p-15

Bernard Johnson (slithytove@earthlink.net)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:48:32 -0700

Al, In my opinion is vital to add more floatation to the P15. The
factory supplied floatation will keep the boat afloat but only just.
One cu. ft. of foam (2# density) will support 60#. Depending on how much
space you want to give up, you can make the little sucker like a cork!
The least intrusive floatation is pour-in 2 part foam, since it can be
used to fill up odd and hard to reach dead volumes. (For instance, the
mast itself can be filled, yielding approx. 1/3 cu. ft., that is, 20#
floatation in a highly advantageous place). I bought (and had delivered
UPS) enough to make 10 cu. ft. for a total cost of $78.00. I highly
recommend Utah Foam Products in Salt Lake City, (801) 269-0600
(www.utahfoam.com). This alone will support 600#, enough to float the
boat AND the trailer! There is no danger of of overfilling providing the
foam has volume to expand into freely (just use common sense). Also Dow
manufactures marine floatation billets (primarily used for floating
docks, marinas etc.). They come in logs 7" X 20" X 96". They are very
easy to shape. You can cut them very easily with a small hand saw or a
kitchen knife. One billet will support approx. 480#. These may be
difficult to obtain unless there is a distributor near you and they are
not cheap, about $7-$8 cu. ft. Shipping costs are prohibitive due to
the bulk.
There is strong opinion regarding the amount of, and placement of ,
floatation material, or, indeed whether it it advisable at all!
(Although what is wrong with being comfortably safe eludes me). You will
be hearing arguments about the difficulty of righting the boat, lack of
space, and the effect on the ecology, but first and foremost I would
think that you want the boat to NOT sink! 6" of bow protruding above
the water is not much use to anyone!

If you opt for the pour-in foam, test it carefully in small amounts
until you get a feel for how it behaves. Mixing, temperature, ratios,
time need reasonable attention paid to them, but full instructions are
sent with the shipment.

Bear in mind that the foam will be VERY difficult to remove should you
ever want to do so, whereas foam blocks can be removed at will,
depending on the the need for space, or the anticipated hazards of a
cruise. I have chosen a combination myself, using a generous amount of
each.

Regards, Bernie Johnson