Re: Bent Mast

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:10:55 EDT

In a message dated Wed, 11 Aug 1999 3:24:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Carl Bostek, CRNA, FNP" <aurorahs@sinbad.net> writes:

> I recently purchased a '83 P-15. Today I noticed a curve in the mast,
> basically at the center. Looks as if it had been overstressed at some
> time. Before I try to straighten it out with brute strength, does
> anyone have any suggestions. BTW the luff slot is fine -- there's just
> a gentle, but pronounced, bend in the mast.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Hi Carl,

I'd recommend that you consider just leaving it alone --as long as the curve is convex towards the front of the mast. It will sail just fine that way; in fact, the bend in the mast may help take of the belly out of your (likely, since they're a little old) stretched out sails.

When you sail, the mast bends anyhow. If the curve is gentle and slight, just leave it alone. Masts sometimes get curves in them over the years and it's no big deal. One of our 25 year old Force 5's has a distinct curve in the mast and my hubby sailed it to a fourth place in the High Sierra Regatta last month. The sail sets beautifully on that mast!

If the curve is sideways, well, that's not good ... you may be able to take the curve out with proper tuning of your shrouds.

Regards,
Judy B
1985 WWP-19 #266 "Redwing"
Sailing SF Bay