Re: Potters and high altitude

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:12:39 EDT

In a message dated Mon, 16 Aug 1999 3:49:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, GSTahoe@aol.com writes:

> Having been busy with the Tahoe gathering, I haven't been following this
> thread too closely. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the use of
> outboards at higher altitudes. Depending on the altitude and the motor, there
> are modifications that must be made. The outboard is especially a needed
> piece of safety equipment due to the unpredictability of high mountain
> weather.
<snipped>
> Some motors will not even start at high altitude without re-jetting. Most
> will run like poop without rejetting and possibly changing props to a
> different pitch.
>
> If anyone really cares to hear my experiences with the Tohatsu 3.5 and the
> Honda 2 at 6,200 ft., I would be happy to share.
>

> Geoff
> P-15 Lollipop
> N. Lake Tahoe, NV

Hi Geoff et al,

Our brand new Nissan 5 ran like poop at 6000 feet altitude. In fact it stalled out every time we put it in idle to switch gears. Didn't have any power under half throttle either. I don't know how the other Nissan 5's at the Tahoe sail performed, maybe they didn't have much power either, but at least they didn't stall out.

We ran it for the first time a week before the Tahoe trip for about 15 minutes. Seemed to run okay.

It's going back to Svenson's for a check up tomorrow. The shop manager says it probably needs an adjustment to the jets. I'm going to have him tune it for sea level, because that's where we usually sail, but I want it to run, at the very least, at higher altitudes.

Best,
Judy B