RE: Trunk Repair (or Bandage for Babar)

Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:37:34 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01BEE933.63E04A80

Thanks for the ideas. I plan on taking my boat to a repair shop in the
morning. I visited one such shop yesterday, but the owner gave me really bad
vibes. Last night I crewed on another boat at the Duck Dodge. This boat "Do
the math," a Tanzer 7.5, had recently been in a nasty collision with another
boat at the races and had some $6500 in work done at Seattle Yacht Center.
The owner said she was really happy with their work. If the shop can't/won't
fix it, or if the damage is enough that the insurance company starts using
words like "totalled" then I'll attempt the repair myself. I was a little
dismayed at her bill though - apparently she lost her stern pulpit, damaged
some rigging, and did something to the motor mount and motor. I never saw
the original damage, but it sure didn't >sound< like $6500 worth to me. That
boatyard certainly did nice work though - the only evidence of a repair I
noticed was the shininess of her new pulpit - the owner had to point out all
the other work to me.

On my boat, the damage beneath (at the lower rear of the trunk) is probably
fixable with something like marine-tex. There's no real tearing down there -
just the outer layer of gelcoat got crushed pretty bad and flaked away and
you can see laminate beneath. This was basically the point on which the
daggerboard pivoted so the action was mostly a crushing one. But I don't
>think< any laminate was really damaged. I'm just a little shocked to SEE it
uncovered by gelcoat!

Inside at the upper front of the trunk, the damage is better described as a
'slice', about 4 or 5 inches down through the front of the trunk. I have no
real experience doing structural fiberglass repairs, but I've read
extensively on the subject, and I >think< the proper fix would be to cut
away the damaged front completely, bevel back the sides of the trunk quite a
ways (6-12"?) then do a standard layup sequence from one side, around the
(missing!) front, and to the other side.

Truthfully, the upper part seems fairly straightforward to me, and is
something I'd be willing to attempt myself. . What concerns me is that if
the damage on the lower section is worse than I can see, it would take some
serious rebuilding to fix. I don't think its that bad though.

For removing the keel: I figure I'd just float it, drop the board through
the slot, then dig the daggerboard from the water. For install I'd go to a
tire store or other service station with a lift and lower the boat on it. My
trailer design would allow me to do this on the trailer. Gotta be cheaper
than a trip in the Travellift at the boatyard. But the 'hole' idea is a good
one that I have contemplated in the past.

Steel bands: I'll have more to say on this subject when I hear back from the
boatyard. Actually, I like the idea of steel bands for their ability to
spread the load of the keel when resting on its safety bolts. I think I DONT
like the idea for protection in a grounding. My gut feeling is that if I had
more strength around the perimeter of the trunk, it would have concentrated
for force at the lower rear, which would be a more costly repair and a more
serious hole in the hull. As it was, my boat still did float and get me home
safely, alebeit with a lot less internal freeboard. In the absence of waves
and/or chop I wouldn't have taken on any water at all, and had it been a
little deeper, I would have jury-rigged a system to slow down the incoming
water. I probably would have used my trailer tie-down strap or some anchor
rode as a big bandage to hold together the front of the trunk to get myself
to a ramp.

I have grounded before, but its always been in mud or sand. In every case
the boat was come to a relative soft stop and the board has simply raised up
in the trunk. This was a definite high-speed impact on a large rock.

I don't think the approach of impact-resistance is a good one to persue. I
think the better protection for me with regards to grounding is for me to
make better decisions. These rocks didn't sneak up on me. I had my sounder
on, was watching it (20...10...9.8.7.6.5.4. clunk) and I had the local
knowledge and experience in this section of the lake. I knew the rocks were
there. (ok i didn't know it was RIGHT THERE but i knew they were close).
Unfortunately, this really makes it all worse -- my damage is a result of a
bad leadership decision on my part. I should have taken over the helm when
it was apparent the helmsperson wasn't going to take seriously my warnings
about the depth. Instead I won an argument and lost the boat.

I do plan on purchasing a few epoxy-sticks to keep aboard. A pair of those
would have at least sealed my leaks and bought me a lot of time.

I've gotten a lot of private email on this subject. While hardly anyone has
come forward publicly to share their grounding experiences, there are
several out there, with identical damage, most of which was fixed by the
skippers themselves, so my trip to the boatyard may to unnecessary. On the
other hand, a professional fix will help my re-sale value if I ever decide
to sell this boat on the list :)

Another common theme in private emails was concerns about damage to my
relationship with my wife over this incident. I was pretty cranky still when
I first wrote you all about this incident, and things are better now.
They'll be better still when the boat is on the water again. I appreciate
the concern.

On to happier news: The new cruising kite is going to work out well. Its
just short enough in the luff I can hoist it from the genoa halyard, though
I plan on experimenting with a separate halyard and block from the masthead.
I modified my downhaul arrangement for use as the tackline. I already had
blocks in the rear quarters on my genoa rails, and while the lead angles
could be better (as they could everywhere on my goofy track), they work well
for the sheets.
The chute is everything everyone said it would be - great for off-the-wind
work, not bad at all on a reach. It will even point up to a close reach if
you really haul on the tackline. But for close-hauled sailing, better switch
to the genoa.
It doesn't work well on a dead run because it gets blanketed by the main,
but it was better than I thought it would be. I can't think of a reason I
couldn't pole out the clew with my whisker pole for dead runs. That would be
a little unconventional but I think it would work.

I was also pleasantly suprised that with a little practice it should still
be possible to single-hand with this sail. The foot goes back so far you can
actually pull on the leech from the cockpit and get it down in a hurry. In
any event this is far easier to deal with than a conventional poled
spinnaker, but I have no experience with the P19 poled spinnakers so
maybe they're not as bad as they are on larger boats.

I couldn't be happier with the coloring - its as perfect a match to my other
sails as I could get. My main and lapper are red-white-and-blue and i look
like I'm recycling a french flag when sailing. My genoa is red and white.
This chute is red white and blue too, so it fits right in my obnoxious color
schemes. When I'm on the lake, you know its me :)

In short, thanks for the lead on getting that spinnaker. I certainly had an
ear-to-ear grin flying it that was well worth the $139.50 I payed for it!