Re: Trailer Tongue Weight Question - too much stuff in Caravan?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:26:59 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 17 Aug 1999 4:36:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SolarFry@aol.com writes:

> Hi Judy:
>
> First, all vehicles bounce a bit when towing a trailer. Anyone tells you
> different has been towing for too long... You cannot expect to tow a trailer
> that weighs over 2000 lbs without changes in ride and way you drive. All
> vehicle manufacturers specify a load leveling hitch and trailer brakes when
> towing over 2000 lbs. Dealership personnel are woefully ignorant of towing
> needs. (Ask for manufacturer towing manual or read your vehicle towing
> instructions)You can correct rear bounce with auxiliary springs or air shocks
> in back... About 100 bucks a pair installed at Monroe shock stores sometimes
> K or W mart have specials.
>
> I would suggest you weigh rig fully loaded and set hitch weigh at 10% and no
> less.
>
> The effect of too heavy a tongue is that front wheels tend to have less weigh
> than normal. This makes it slightly harder to steer when road is wet or
> slippery. But not that much! Your vehicle weigh and loading have a lot to do
> with this. If you check towing specs you will notice mfgs indicate towing
> performance with 2 passengers and 2 bags of clothes and no more.

That may be true for a standard passenger vehicle, but not necessarily true when for a vehicle with the factory tow package of heavy duty shocks, brakes, tranny cooler, alternator, and wiring

When you
> threw in that tool box and extra blocks, sheets, sails, coolers (with ice no
> less!), food, bedding, etc. you exceeded mfg recs. Perhaps, not trailer weigh
> but extra gear causes vehicle bounce (shocks bottoming out?)

Actually, my van is factory equipped with the heavy duty tow package and is rated to pull 3500 pounds with the tongue weight at 10%.

With 6-7 persons and their luggage, the allowable trailer load is 2700 pounds. With 3-5 people and luggage, allowable trailer weight is 3000 pounds, and with 2 people and lugglage, it's 3500 pounds)

Total gross axle weight of the van, contents and tongue weight cannot exceed 5400 pounds. The combined weight of the van, contents and trailer cannot exceed 8300 pounds.

Another thing
> overlooked a lot is that towing over 2000lbs should be done in next lower
> gear from HI. (IF OD transmission indicator then you should tow in D only -
> This will ensure enough oil flows through radiator and tranny to keep it
> cool. - Otherwise you will smell a strange odor when you exit car - odor of
> burnt transmission fluid!)

The Caravan manual specifically advises you MUST tow in OD to avoid overheating the transaxles on the four speed tranny, which is the one you get when you order the tow package on the car. Gotta read the manual. Times change... that used to be true, but no longer. The four speed model with tow package is equipped with a huge auxillary tranny cooler.

Best,
Judy B

I fried my transmission fluid towing Potter in OD