Re: Safe mast raising Solo (was: Pottering Blunders-- )

Bill Combs (ttursine@gnt.net)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:29:53 -0500

> Thomas wrote:
> <<snipped>>
> Do need to figure out some safe way
> to lower the
> mast by myself if need be--Any Advice?
> <<snipped>>
> Thomas Westerman
> P19 #578
> Colorado Springs.
>
> If you have a winch on your boat, you can probably figure out some way to
> use it. I raise and lower my mast with the winch.

> Hope this gives you some ideas. One of these days, I'm gonna stop working
> on my P19, and fix my computer so I can scan and post some pictures so
> y'all can see it, rather than having to read my sometimes verbose
> descriptions.
>
> Best,
> Judy B

Judy has as good a way as any for singlehanding the mast -- there are
numerous methods and variations thereon. Best advice I can give,
however, is to **not** be raising and lowering the mast when afloat.
The base is too unstable and there's not all that much to be gained
unless you're at a dock and need to do masthead repairs.

Lightning vs sailboats is such a poorly understood situation that
there is no assurance (or even strong indication) that lowering the
mast will in any measurable way change your chances of being struck,
especially given the relatively low height of Potter masts. What you
_will_ gain is an extreme increase in the roll instability of the hull
in the wind and rough water usually accompanying
thunderstorms/squalls. [Think moment-of-inertia -- as usually
described by referring to rotation rate of a spinning ice skater with
arms extended vs with arms drawn in.]

Since the chance of being lightning struck is low in absolute terms
[before you object, Solar Fry, I live in Florida also; our probability
is relatively higher but still absolutely _very_ low] and is not
necessarily meaningfully decreased by lowering the mast by 18'or so,
the chance of accident, the effort involved, and the discomfort
induced tell me to leave the mast up. I'd advise that approach.

Regards,

Bill Combs
WWP 19 #439 (Aug 1987)
"Ursa Minor"