[N] Re: Lowering mast during storm/ Carbon fiber masthead charge diffusion fingers

james nolan (nolan_laboratories@email.msn.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 15:06:29 -0600

Tom:
Thanks for posting the nice pictures of Lake Granby and thanks especially
for not posting the one of me falling off of the windsurfer and straddling
the mast.
A cheapo lightning disappator (spelling) can be made by taking a short
length (6") of heavy gauge stranded copper wire, such as a car battery cable
or jumper cable. The heavier the gauge and the finer the strands the
better. Strip off 3-4" of insulator on one end and peel out the individual
strands to make a "lollipop tree" of the strands. On the other end crimp a
large lug (car battery ground type). Make sure the insulation is removed on
this end for conductivity to the lug. Bolt this lug to the top of the mast,
in which you'll probably have to drill a hole. You may want to put up more
than one. Total cost less than $10. Note: This will not absolutely prevent
lightning from striking you, it will only reduce your chances. When
lightning comes around, I head for shore. You also must provide a grounding
path for the mast, I use a long chain off of the forestay into the water.

Jim Nolan (now a believer in outsailing the current)