Re: Defending the 19

J.J. Falkanger (gatorjj@excite.com)
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:12:18 PDT

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:46:17 -0700, Gretchen Potter wrote:

> It was with some misgiving that I started reading the postings that =
> "flamed" the Potter 19. Mine not due to be delivered till next week! =
> But I am pleased with what I read. My question is...regarding the =
> safety issue (I'm a chicken sailor) what things would you wiser salts =
> recommend I upgrade to immediately (besides my skills and hours on the =
> water :-} )

IMHO Best easy things you can do for safety is add slugs to the main, and
add a jib downhaul. As a fellow chicken sailor, there's nothing like being
able to get those sails down fast! If you are going to single-hand I would
strongly suggest running the halyards back to the cabin.

If I remember, as soon as I bought my P-19 there was some similar
discussions about the quality of the boat (happens every so often). Scared
the heck out of me, but once you get it and sail it, you'll have no
doubts!!!

J.J. Falkanger
Cary, NC
P-19 #792 "Fozzguppy"