Re: Risk Assessment?

Sam Finlay (sam.finlay@ey.com)
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:07:08 -0400

>From: happy life skills foundation <hapilife@efn.org>
>This brings up stats on DRIVING....what's the ratio of deaths per 100,000
>on auto related deaths? Seems like the most dangerous part of my sailing
>day is driving to the boat or taking the bus...
>Ken Silverman

Absolutely right Ken,
I have a loooong commute and I've lost track of the number of times I've been terrified on the road.
You don't have to see too many white sheeted bodies lying in the passing lane next to a wreck to get the message.

>A shockingly high proportion of boating accidents--27 percent--involve alcohol,
>and given people's incentive to lie about such things and the difficulty of
>administering breathalyzer tests under such circumstances, this statistic
>surely understates the problem. According to the Coast Guard, a boat operator
>with a blood alcohol concentration above .10 percent is more than 10 times
>more likely to be killed in a boating accident as a boat operator with a blood
>alcohol concentration of zero.

>So, unless you're a guy who gets tanked and borrows a small open motorboat
>without wearing a PFD, you're probably pretty safe. :-) BTW, the link to the
>Coast Guard statistics wasn't working today.

>Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
>Moscow, Idaho U.S.A.

Ron,
You aren't seriously suggesting that someone who'd been drinking and had an accident would *lie* about it are you? ;-)
Honestly, that's a good point . The 27% figure is probably WAY low.
BTW thanks again to all those ( especially furby ) who responded to my question about sailing safety. At least the
information seems to have made my wife a little happier w/ the risk factor. However, my daughter's friend's mother remains
impervious to reason. Oh well, you can't win em all!
Sam Finlay
P-15 Indomitable
Luray, VA

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Ernst & Young Technologies