Re: Aground and trailer dagger board bunk

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Rob Pettibone wrote:

> I've stopped bolting the dagger board in the up position and just lower it
> onto the trailer bunk. I keep a bit of tension on the dagger board winch
> when she's on the trailer. I'm not sure why IM ships with the bolts in or
> why you would want to use the bolts in the first place. My opinion is it
> just places additional stress on the boat. My boat was a bit of a mess when
> I took delivery from IM. One bolt had come out, the other was bent, the top
> of the dagger board had struck the compression post several times, and the
> dagger board cable had separated down to just 2 strands.
>
> Rob Pettibone
> Grand Lake St. Mary's, OH
> P-19 #1094 "Gail Marie"

There was a thread last April on this subject; most of the list members
seem to trail with the keel up on the bolt(s). I like to do as you
described, resting it on the trailer with a little tension on the cable.
I agree that it would seem to relieve stress on the boat. I tried to get
IM to give a recommendation on the subject, but all I could get out of
Scott Johnson was "The choice is entirely up to the owner. The boat is
fully capable of trailering the keel in the up or down position." Over
the years it seems that they have sold trailers both with and without a
place to rest it, so maybe that explains their answer. I continue to
rest it and still think it is the best way to go.

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes