Re: Private vs Public Responses to Questions

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:49:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Dennis W. Farrell wrote:

> It's very tempting and easy to just drop a quiet personal note in response
> to a posted question. Avoids a lot of potential hassle and discussion for
> which we often don't feel we have time. I've received comments from others
> that lead me to believe that it's happening with increasing frequency.
>

> The other side of that coin is, I believe, that people see the list as
> non-responsive. Certainly not the person who receives the private answers.
> But the rest of the list, particularly newer members, who may be looking for
> the same information end up feeling that there was no answer at all.
>
> Recent events have made at least some of us, myself included, a bit shy of
> opening ourselves to controversy. I believe this is to detriment of the
> list community. I've received comments from others that lead me to believe
> that it's happening with increasing frequency.
>
> So: when asking a question, take an few seconds and ask for answers to the
> list, rather than privately. When answering questions, please make every
> effort to post to the list.

I agree. Especially the last sentence...please answer to the list.
Another sailor will probably not ask the same question, even tho he really
needed the answer, if the question is not answered to the list. So he
goes without the answer he wanted or needed. We're all here to learn and
help, so make your answers helpfull to all of us.

> (BTW - *please* don't answer to the person and to the list. If you don't
> understand why, post the question to the list . . . . . . .)

OK I'll bite. What's the problem? The originator gets two copies, but
so what? I'm sure he can deal with that. On the other hand, for a lot of
mail clients, it is real easy to send to "all recipients" meaning the
originator and the list, or to the "originator only" meaning the list
doesn't get a copy; but not so easy to send to the list only. As long as
our list is set up this way, I'd say that replying to both the originator
and the list should be tolerated, and the two copies to the originator
seen as a minor inconvience to the originator for the pleasure of
the rest of us getting an answer.

> Thanks -- dwf (still Potter Mailing List maintainer for a while)

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes