Re: Private vs Public Responses to Questions

Tim Spofford (tims@spof.org)
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:30:08 -0700

At 07:09 PM 09/11/1999 -0700, Dennis W. Farrell wrote:

>So: when asking a question, take an few seconds and ask for answers to the
>list, rather than privately. When answering questions, please make every
>effort to post to the list.

I agree with your point. There's something about the way this list is set
up, however, that with Eudora Pro my replies go to the individual and NOT
to the list. It doesn't appear that it uses the reply-to field. This is
the only list I'm on that does it this way and it's a pain in the ass to
try to remember to over-ride the default or, as usually happens, to have to
message to the list and not to you I first had to remember to tell it to
Reply to All, then I had to delete your name from the To field and cut and
paste the list address from the cc: field into the To: field. Even if I
were willing to do that every time, I find it impossible to remember to do.

I expect 80 percent of the problem you described would go away
transparently if the listserv (or the defaults for this list) were
reconfigured.

Tim Spofford Kirkland, Washington
tims@spof.org http://spof.org