Re: P-19 Sail Flutter in winds over 10 mph?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:03:18 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/99 8:12:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
eric@winternet.com writes:

> It has been rumored that Rob Pettibone said:
> >
> > The last 2 times we've been out the wind has been in the 10-16 mph range
> and
> > I've had problems with the jib and main luff fluttering. I tried various
> > things to get it to stop with no luck. Both times I ended up striking
the
> > sails to avoid any potential damage to the sails. Anyone have any ideas
> > about why this is happening and how to correct it?
>
> Sounds like you need to trim in the sails a bit. Winds at 10-16 are really
> ideal for the P-19. If you're uncomfortable, try reefing.

Eric could be right. But there are other possibilities in addition to what
he mentioned.

Maybe you're trying to point too high? or maybe your sheeting the jib in too
much, which pinches the slot between the sails too tight, and stalling the
front of the main?

Or maybe the problem starts with how you hoisted the sails. if the luff
isn't tensioned enough, it will stall very easily and get very intolerant of
the kind of mistakes described above.

For hoisting the jib, you don't need a great deal of tension, but there
should be no curves between the hanks. For the main, after you hoist it to
the top of the mast, "sit" on the boom with your knee before you secure the
boom downhaul.

After you've been sailing a while the mainhalyard may stretch or "creep" so
the luff loosens. In this case, you can "sweat" it to make it tighter. Turn
into the wind or go on a reach and loosen the mainsheet to stall the
mainsail, taking the load off the halyard. Undo the main haylard fron the
horn cleat, but leave it wrapped 360* around the base of the horn cleat; hold
on to it and don't let the halyard slip while you do this (you did wrap the
halyard once around the cleat when you initially hoisted the main, didn't
you). With your other hand, "sweat" the halyard (strongly pull the
mainhalyard out horzontally from the mast). Take up the slack by pulling the
line at the cleat, as you ease the sweated halyard back alongside the mast.

If your main halyard is old and stretchy, you may want to consider a higher
tech line, especially if you sail in winds over 15 knots frequently. The old
dacron yachtbraid on our P19 used to stretch, and stretch, and stretch....

Best,
Judy B
1985/2000 WWP19 #266 "Redwing"
SF Bay, CA