2:1 outhaul and downhaul, was Re: P-19 Sail Flutter in winds over 10

Sukoshi1044@aol.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:18:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/99 10:49:14 AM EST, etj@nwlink.com writes:

<< > For you heavy weather sailors - are you using the stock outhaul and
> downhaul? I find these controls very difficult to trim in even a modest
> breeze.

Agreed. I'm been playing with using tiny blocks to make these into
multi-part purchases. >>

Hi all:

You can do both a 2:1 downhaul and 2:1 outhaul for a P-15 or P-19 for little
more than the cost of longer lines <OK, you'll need a new cleat for the
outhaul if you don't already have one>. The rigs are so small they can be
rigged similar to a Laser. There is some friction, but I've not had a
problem with adjustments on P-15 or P-19.

For the downhaul:

You need a place to attach the end of the line. An eyestrap will suffice
nicely. Mount it near the downhaul cleat on the mast. Tie a figure eight
knot in the end of a 1/4" line <can be smaller for a P-15!> and thread it
through the eye strap, go through the fitting on the bottom of the gooseneck
<or if you want a 'cunningham' through the tack grommet of the mainsail> and
back down to the cleat. Voila, you've got a 2:1 downhaul. If you want to
make it easier to unrig, use an 'S' hook to connect it to the gooseneck.

The outhaul is similar:
Use a shackle if you have the 'end of boom' casting <from Dwyer> or the
eyestrap on top of the 'clew' end of the boom if you have that configuration.
Attach a 1/4" line with a bowline <again P-15 could use smaller line>. Run
the line through the clew of the mainsail and back through the shackle or
eyestrap at the end of the boom. Bring it forward again and make it fast to
a cleat <preferably where you can reach it easily>. Presto, a 2:1 outhaul.
I used <aluminum> clamcleats on Sukoshi to make the adjustments easier.

Both Wind Shadow <P-19 #779> and Sukoshi <P-15 #1044> are rigged this way.
At some point we'll get 'outfitting' pix posted on a web page so these <and
other rigging mods> will be clearer for those interested.

Bill de Ment P-15 #1044 'Sukoshi'
Eagle, Idaho