Re: Rotten centerboard housing

Mark (apresvous@pobox.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:35:46 -0700

Eric,
Sorry to jump in so late on this, but at the current time, I can only
check my mail on the weekends.

EMcali5479@aol.com wrote:
> Au contraire, last week I decided to take the paint off and see what was
> underneath. I found dry rot in the plywood between the fiberglass housing of
> the lazarette and the fiberglass housing of the centerboard. I scraped out as

I am making a couple of assumptions here:
1. There is/was a trim plate on the cockpit sole that covers the gap
between the fiberglass flooring of the cockpit and the vertical
sides of the centerboard trunk.
2. You have removed this plate.

In the above description, are you refering to the area immediately aft
of the centerboard trunk, where some of the wood substructure is visible
through the gap between flooring and centerboard? IIRC, some of the
keel structure as well as part of a bulkhead is visible here, depending
on the size of the gap (mine is large).

> Eric McAlister
> WWP 14 #226
> Kenmore, WA