Re: WWP19 Outboard Motor Preferences

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:40:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, English wrote:

> Please drop me a note describing your experiences with the "right" outboard
> motor for your "19". I just purchased a "19" with a Sears Gamefisher 3hp.
> I also have a British Seagull "featherweight 40". I am considering
> buying a 4-stroke 5 to 9.9 hp for environmental and noise benefits. Anyone
> out there with comments? Thanks in advance.

I agree with all the comments I have seen on this subject. The only
problem is that the ideal motor isn't made. Until I can find a 2 cyl
(needed, or at least wanted, for the smoothness) 6-8 HP (needed if you are
going to sail in tidal current waters) 4-stroke (lets be green...as well
as not having to mix that damn oil) that weighs less than 60 lbs
(important to the transom as well as sailing quality) that can be equipped
with an alternator (if you're going to run the motor, at least be able to
charge the battery(s)) I'm going to stick with my old OMC 6 hp 2 cyl, 2
stroke. It is smooth, has all the power I need, not green and no
alternator, but you can get a good used one for a couple of hundred bucks.

Then you can wait, like me, for the ideal one to be made...which I think
will happen in the next few years, mainly due to the green pressure.

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes