Catalina

bill payne (bpayne@sanynet.ne.jp)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:57:33 +0900

I think 5 Potters went to Catalina in July. It was generally a good trip.
I intend to join them next year. They put in at Alameda Bay on the south
end of Long Beach. There is a public ramp there and you can leave your
vehicle. The marina area will let you tie up for a small fee. The shot to
Catalins is straight from there. I don't have the bearing handy, but the
wind in summer is generally from the northwest (stronger in the afternoon).
A week ago I chartered a 30' Pearson to make my first trip with friends
from Newport to Avalon. We motored almost the whole way with only 1 hour
of wind from the south on the 5+ hour trip over and motored back. The
return trip had very low clouds. They burned off about 2 p.m. and we were
able to sail up and down the coastline for a while.
There is a chart book for Catalina which is very complete. $9.00. Charts
are reproduced in the book as well as mooring areas and regulations. They
can be bought through West Marine, I think.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:42:35 -0600
From: John spooner <ocean@verinet.com>
To: Potter <wwpotter@tscnet.com>
Subject: S. California?

I would like to pick some potter brains as to trailering my P-19 to CA
to do Catalina and the area, such as where to launch, park the pickup,
things of that sort. Also can someone recomend a good cruising guide as
well?
Jerry B. invited me to go to the bay area if I go (thanks Jerry) but I'm
more of a fair weather pina-colada sailor, I was thinking Mission Bay
area too. When I was in S.F. in Aug one time on a motorcycle trip the
weather was foggy/windy/chilly! But then on the other hand when I picked
up my boat in L.A. in april it rained the 2 days I was there. I would
also provide info. on N. Colorado sailing or Falmouth -Martha's Vinyard
sailing as well, I use to work on the ferry boat going back and forth
and grew up back there and recently returned from a wonderful trip.
Thanks group!
John Spooner..Ft Collins, CO