Re: Battery Maintenence Questions

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:15:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Scott Pack wrote:

> At 04:43 PM 9/27/99 -0600, Thos. Westerman wrote:
> >
> >For about the same cost you can get a solar power charger and never have to
> >remove the battery. Check ebay under "solar panel" search. Sure would
> >save you a lot of trouble.
> >

> Well that did come to mind, however.... I live in Seattle where the sun
> never shines! Okay it did shine yesterday and the day before, but pretty
> soon it's going to start raining and it won't stop until July 4th.

Make that July 5th...it seems like it always rains on July 4th. It is
amazing, but you can get more charging than you would think around here.
I would be sure to use either a commercial regulator (should only be
needed with a big panel) or a blocking diode to make sure the battery
doesn't try to charge the panel on those real dark days. I have one that I
am mounting on top of the front hatch, but lots of other possibilites.

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO (Oct, 83)
Lake Stevens, WA