Re: CDI Furler

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:03:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/99 8:16:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, dbeisel@ibm.net
writes:

> If I manually turn the drum several turns, it tightens up, then rapidly
> spins back when
> released. It MUST have a spring in there. I'm going to take the darn
> thing apart
> and see what's in there.

Hi again David,

I should have written "The drum AND EXTRUSION should rotate freely around the
forestay. If not, something is binding somewhere, or it's installed
incorrectly" You'll need to figure out where it's binding. It could be
something as simple as a loose topping lift, as Eric suggests, or it could be
more complicated.

It's gotta be binding either at the top fitting or the drum on the stay. I
suppose it could be binding somewhere inside the extrusion, but that's not
likely.

Once you take the bottom drum assembly apart, check to be sure that the
extrusion is not sitting too low inside the drum, and binding against the
turnbuckle on the stay. The clevis pin in the neck of the drum is supposed
to insert under the bottom end of the extrusion and keep it from sliding down
onto the turnbuckle.

Perhaps the clevis pin is missing, allowing the extrusion to drop down onto
the turnbuckle.

I have also heard of people cutting the extrusion a little longer than the
instructions suggest and then drilling a hole in it and inserting the clevis
pin through it. Some riggers do this to keep the extrusion from riding up.
In this case, if it's cut just a hair too long, it could be hitting the top
of the turnbuckle and binding.

The drum could also be binding against the turnbuckle if the turnbuckle is
adjusted to be too long. The installation instructions call for a 10" open
body turnbuckle, but you can't open it up to it's full length because it will
bind against the drum. It has to be about 1/2" shorter than the fully
extended length.

Before you take it apart, look up at the top of the stay. If the extrusion
is too long, it could also be binding at the top of the stay against whatever
fitting you have up there. There needs to be an inch or two of clearance
between the top of the extrusion and the fitting at the top of the stay.

Hope this helps.

Judy B