RE: Stupid (and Good?) Sailing Movies

Sayer, Chris (ChrisSayer@StratfordGroup.com)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:31:36 -0400

Is it ever possible to see a truly great movie about a field in which you
are knowledgeable? Unfortunately (for sailors) movies are made by people who
love and know movies, not sailing. In my former life as a military pilot, I
suffered through many movies I found truly awful, because I knew more about
the subject than the film-maker. My wife is an attorney, and is able to
enjoy few of the very,very many movies and TV shows that cover that
profession.

I just try to enjoy the high points and ignore rest.

Looking forward to the movie that really captures sailing as I know it!

Perhaps "Daysail with a Vengeance", starring Bruce Willis?

Chris Sayer
p15, #2380 "Akala"
San Jose CA

-----Original Message-----
From: GSTahoe@aol.com [mailto:GSTahoe@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 8:55 AM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Re: Stupid (and Good?) Sailing Movies

In a message dated 10/04/1999 5:32:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
haley@geneseo.edu writes:

> I loved the sailing, but my non nautical spouse was distraught at
> the ending. I need a good sailing movie with an ending that does not
> resemble this or White Squall

That ending was totally stupid. Whoever wrote it has never sailed. Here's
this experienced old salt sailing in a storm without any PFD. Then, he
jumps
overboard into tumultuous seas to perform a rescue wearing all his clothes,
including his shoes. There was a lot more stupid stuff, but I don't
remember
it that well. It wasn't worth remembering. Yeah, the boat was nice, but
obviously didn't belong to the man sailing it. If you just want to look at
pretty boats, you can go to a boat show or any large marina. Wasting hours
watching such drivel is foolish. I'm surprised they didn't include a giant
squid in the hold and a couple of great whites just to scare people a little

more.

Tell your wife she's right about not wanting to see movies like this, but
not
only because of the ending, but because of the beginning and middle as well.

Thumbs down on this one!

As for sailing movies with sweet endings, you may have a bit of a problem.
The sea is relentless and it is the hardships of the sea that make for good
stories. Stories such as "The Old Man and The Sea," "Two Years Before the
Mast," the Hornblower series, "Moby Dick," "Mutiny on the Bounty," etc.
It's
the human challenges that make for good reading. As pleasant as an evening
in a moonlit lagoon is, it doesn't make for much of a story.

One movie of the sea that I enjoyed immensely is, "Deep Blue." It is not
really about sailing, but about competitive deep breath-hold diving. I
believe it is an Italian movie, but it is available in video stores. It's
pretty old, but as a true story, it is timeless. A fine story--and no one's

trying to perform an open water rescue in their wingtips.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV

Here's to sitting anchored in a moonlit lagoon reading about other's trials
and tribulations!