Buy new or used...Recent thoughts

Bill Boyer (antares6527@yahoo.com)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:58:01 -0700 (PDT)

John and Lynn,
I just went through the same decision-making process.
Many of the used Potters for sale on the Web are
already sold. The asking price for ones which are less
than 10 years old is between $3500 and $4500. The
"popular option package" for a P15 is $5995. IM is
willing to negotiate. For example: I requested that
the outboard be eliminated and I want the running and
anchor lights and my choise of hull color (yellow with
a red stripe). My price, less tax, was close to $5000.
It was worth it to have a brand new boat for $1000
more than a used boat. I just bought a brand new 2hp
Honda 4 cycle outboard for $595. With pollution
restrictions getting tougher, I preferred the Honda to
the Nisson included in the package. The Honda is
supposed to get better mpg also. Plus, I think IM has
made some improvements in the construction and options
which may not be found in older boats. With the resale
prices relatively high compared to the new prices, if
I decide to sell in a few years, I hope to recover
most of the cost. However, you may want to buy used
boat an "bond" with it. It's all just a personal
choise.

Bill Boyer
P-15 "L'il"

=====