RE: Movies and books

Tiffany, Doug (TiffanyD@phibred.com)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:58:31 -0500

Potterers:

Another book that is a great read, and all should have, is "Rescue in the
Pacific". It is a hair raising true story of half a dozen or so mono and
multihull sailing vessels caught in a convergence of 3 separate weather
systems while on their way from New Zealand to various points North. It is
an excellent chronology of the increasing severity of the systems and how
the various vessels were affected, as well as an extremely good primer on
survival on the high seas, with some very unique and helpful lists of
experience/equipment in the appendix.

Beatrix Potter is another author whose writings could well inspire many a
great potter name.

Doug Tiffany
WWP-19 #1067, BONILEA
Fargo, ND area - where there actually are many very nice sailable bodies of
water(mostly in MN)
-----Original Message-----
From: bill payne [mailto:bpayne@sanynet.ne.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 3:49 PM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Movies and books

Potterers (think about it...)
Thanks for the run down on sailing films yesterday. We had a screening of
'High Society' here wherein Bing Crosby romances Grace Kelly on the True
Love. He sings and plays the accordian while she, dressed in a skirt and
blouse, swoons. The boat is apparently on auto... Good ol' movie anyway.
I just finished reading'The Perfect Storm'. I'm sure all of you have this
one on your shelf. I only wish I had read it before I wandered around
Gloucester one afternoon last June. Now that should be a film...
Harry Potter was mentioned several digests back as an good name for a
Potter. Haven't read him but the sales must be very high. Spoke to a lady
in SeaTac who was buying two different titles to keep up with her kids.
Need I remind you of another Potter, Stephen Potter. He was a writer and
broadcaster for the BBC just before and during WW2. However, his claim to
greatness, in my opinion, were the 'Gamesmanship' books; indeed, he is to
be credited for adding the term to our language.
Raining this morning in Osaka and typhoon Dan is working its way from the
Phillipines to China; should be here in 2 or 3 days.
bill payne
Pilgrim
Catch 22