Re: Picturs of the wreck of "Wind Dancer"

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 23:54:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/99 7:04:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
djensen@teleport.com writes:

> The URL to see this tragedy, is
>
> http://www.teleport.com/~djensen/cyrus
>
> I have suggested that Cyrus get the Don Casey book
> about hull and deck work, and I believe that he is going
> to enter the wonderful world of fiberglass repair. If *anyone*
> out there would like to reach out to Cyrus to offer him support,
> moral or otherwise, then please contact him at CyrusWD@aol.com
>
> Fair winds,
>
> Derek Jensen
> p-15 #694 "El Nino"
> Porland, OR

Cyrus,

It looks bad -- but it's not as bad as it looks, I think. Of course, from
looking at the pictures, I can't be sure, but you can probably fix that in
one or two days. I've done some fiberglass patching, almost as bad as the
damage to Wind Dancer, and the biggest part is figuring out how much of the
old stuff to cut out.

I'd probably use West system epoxy or System 3 Epoxy (tho that means you
can't use gelcoat over it ever) because it's so danged reliable, much better
than any polyester resin I've ever used.

I highly recommend the West System book for $3 titled "Repair of Fiberglass
boats" available wherever West System epoxy is sold. It gives you all the
details you need for working with repairing fiberglass, and tons of tips on
handling the resin and glass and design considerations for repairs.

I have also watched a couple of instructional videos on fiberglass repair
that gave me a good feel for how to work the cloth and resin. I borrowed
them from my local gelcoat/resin supply store for a few days and watched them
twice thru each.

It's really not that hard. And if you mess up, you can always cut it out
next year and do a better job. The beauty of fiberglass is that it's
incredibley repairable!!!

good luck!!!

Judy B