Re: Honda 2hp 4 stroke - gearshift (fwd/neut/rev)?

Leonard Commet Krill (krilll@hgfx.com)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 18:06:19 -0400

Just want to agree with S Fry -- I have a Honda 2hp, and wish
mightily I had been given his advice. It's a great motor, but offers
far less control of the boat than one with gears.

-Leonard
P15 #1823

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>In a message dated 10/9/99 1:53:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>a019507t@bc.seflin.org writes:
>
><< Saw this motor for $600 (99 model). No mixing oil and gas. Anyone have an
> opinion on this motor for a P15?
> >>

>Inquiring minds want to know..
>
>Does it have a gear shift with fwd/neut/reverse?
>
>I did a survey about a year ago and the happiest group
>of owner's were the ones with gearshifts. On the P15
>most preferred the 4HP Evinrude Yachttwin (alternator,
>fwd/neut/rev, 3gal separate gas can, long shaft, 36lbs.)
>and 3.3/5HP Nissan/Merc /Mariner/Tohatsu with neut/fwd
>or neut/fwd/rev (30lbs, separate 3 gal gas can). Of course
>there is a group that swears by 4 cycle engines no matter
>what and will put up with all kinds of discomfort to prove
>their point. Such as the die hard Sea Gull crowd.
>
>Think about this before you plunk down your hard earned
>cash. Once you pay you are stuck with it. Think about
>heading into the dock with wind blowing 15 - 20k from
>astern and not being able to stop (reverse anyone? have
>you tried turning motor 360 degrees and trying to steer it?)
>If you later decide a reverse gear would be nice you are
>in deep doo doo.. Plus, you've thrown away some good
>dough..
>
>4 cycle is nice. But, being able to shove it in neutral as you
>approach the dock and stick it in reverse is so much nicer
>and more than satisfying.
>
>Best
>SF

Leonard Commet Krill tel 207.389.1879