Re: Going to the foredeck (on ANY boat)

Ron Magen (quahog@access1.net)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:17:12 -0400

I think the critical part of the original question was, "without holding onto
something . . ."
It is prudent to "hold onto something"; the rougher the conditions *as you
perceive them* the more so. Singlehanders wear safety harnesses and 'clip on' to
jacklines or hardpoints before even exiting the cabin.

Don't let anybody kid you about how *macho* it is to scamper about the deck
without thinking ahead; look at the 'deck ape' stance of the fordeck people on any
Cup boat, or other competitive sailboat.

Even in protected, or riverine, waters a powerboat wake can be very steep and
abrupt.

In addition, there is that old phrase from the 'Age of Sail' . . . "One hand for
the ship; one hand for yourself"

Regards,
Ron Magen
s/v Quahog (P-19, #575)