Re: Chain Locker DRAIN [Leakage to bilge]

Ron Magen (quahog@access1.net)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:41:26 -0400

--------------591D6F483E7EAB774DC53253

> Rye,

My 1989 'vintage' P-19 has a Very Solid (thick epoxy? polyester?)
floor. What water gets in fills the compartment and I have to 'sponge'
it out. I don't know if it was built that way, or a previous owner
'poured a layer' on top of a sub-floor. I tend toward a 'no holes in the
hull' philosophy, so I haven't been overly concerned.

However, a number of boats have chain locker *outboard* drains. The
small (1/4 ID or so) thru-hull fittings are used. Although simply
drilling a 1/8in hole through the hull at the aft lower corner of the
locker will do, the rounded outer lip helps to prevent chipping of the
gel coat and give a more professional seamanlike look.

The fitting is available in plastic, Marlon (spl ?), or Marine
Bronze. Simply drill a clearance hole from the inside of the locker,
touching (or a bit below, as into the bottom floor) the lowest bottom
area aft. Slather on sealant of choice (I use white or clear RTV
silicone), insert fitting.

Depending how and where you've drilled your hole, you can now screw
on the locking nut, if you have clearence, but don't tighten it down
until the sealer has set - this gives a custom 'washer'. Or after the
sealant has set, you can trim the inner portion of the fitting to a
shorter internal length - this would give drainage ti almost the bottom
of the compartment. Since this is a non-structural (cosmetic) fitting,
there is no real reason for a tight backing nut.

You can put one on each side if you desire, but a single should
drain the compartment with a boat the size of a Potter; you can make her
heel to the drain side at the end of the day by just standing there
until all the water drains out.

Regards,
Ron Magen
s/v Quahog (P-19, #575)