Re: Potter 15 vs 19 - Siren 17

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:26:18 -0400

> SolarFry@aol.com wrote:
> > If it is anything like the one I saw, It does not have compression post and
> > centerboard is under one of side berths not in middle of floor. The only
> > disadvantages I saw was that it sailed on its side and not upright like P19,
> > also it has a weak floor in bow area prone to delaminate..

SF:

You aren't describing a Siren 17, but you are describing a Sanibel or Captiva 17
(or 18?) I had the opportunity to look at a few Sanibels over the years and
sailed one. It did not sail on its side as you described, but your other
descriptions are pretty much on the mark. Some of the earlier models did have a
problem with oil-canning and delam in the bows. Matter of fact, anyone who knows
them and is looking to get one will always study the bow area carefully first. If
it looks ok, the rest of the boat probably is too.

Sanibels are pretty neat boats, lots of character like our Potters. GREAT amount
of cabin room!

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor s/v Always P15 #2125, lateen rig, sailing greater Chesapeake region "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM "Love is good; Love hurts; Love sustains; Love remains." --LSSM