Re: 'backwinding' vs "BACKWIND" - was Using the jib for tacking [

Ron Magen (quahog@access1.net)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:58:29 -0400

--------------04B28A94059A8BBC36774A58

Dave,
from the recent 'backing & filling' there seems to be some confusion
between 'backwinding' and "BACKWINDING".

True, "BACKWINDING" {capital "B"}, is a method of sailing backward, or
'ceasing forward motion'. Something useful to know, and should be
occasionally practiced.

However, the technique of not completely releasing the 'lazy sheet'
until the bow crosses the eye of the wind {'let the jib bring her
around'} is something that should be done 'as conditions require'. It is
a 'gentle technique' just as 'roll tacking' is. It actually makes for
smoother tacks, and also helps larger sails get through the foretriangle
area without 'hanging up'. BUT, like most things, "Timing is
everything". Have BOTH sheets uncleated and preferably, 'in hand'. You
have to watch the sails and have a 'feel' for your boat and how it's
moving to 'know' the release point. Then pull the 'active' sheet - BUT
NOT tight; about 3/4 letting the jib fill and 'cup', then trim it up -
gently as you come to your new heading.

I find that if I'm doing my part, this 'trick' is NOT needed in windy
conditions; just drop off a touch to build up headway before the tack,
then swing through. It is actually the 'light & fluky' wind conditions,
where I need all the momentum I can get, that it is the most useful. I
simply 'play' the lazy sheet, letting the jib come BACK toward a line
'drawn' between the center of the bow and the mast. The 'feedback' from
the hand holding the sheet, the hand on the tiller, and from your eyes,
tell you how it's going.

Although I can guide someone through the process, (I had a fellow P-19
sailor out with me for a 'end of season sail' two weeks ago; he had just
hauled his boat, he was 'crewing' and never used this method}, you have
to practice and develop the 'feel'.

Regards,
Ron Magen
s/v Quahog {P-19, #575}