RE: Project boat? Now I'm a Potterer

Sayer, Chris (ChrisSayer@StratfordGroup.com)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:40:16 -0400

Well said...

It's tempting to make the assumption that because you love boats,
building/rebuilding one will be a positive experience. My dad used to
rebuild old cars, and he got some screaming deals on what appeared to be
junkers. But I remember his advice: "If you want to tinker, buy a project...
if you want to drive, buy a car." Much as I love my Potter, my interest is
sailing. When not sailing, she is merely an attractive piece of lawn
furniture.

Chris
P15, #2380, "Akala"

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Kinsey [mailto:wkinsey@juno.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 6:12 PM
To: wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Project boat? Now I'm a Potterer

Greetings all-
Interesting thread of conversation on the topic of project boats,
which
strikes close to home for me. I found the plywood kit version of
something very similar to a P15. I bought it, and after four years and
about $1k, I realized that even if I did get it finished, my woodworking
was so lousy that I wouldn't have trusted the craft in the water.
So I did the thing I should have done in the first place: I bought a
Potter (though it's a bit of a project itself--another story). If you
ever get the urge to take on a boat-building project or major
restoration, fight it with all you've got.

Bill Kinsey
Clayton, CA
P15 #567 Howler