Re: Puget Sound and San Juan Islands

Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 10:33:05 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Richard Neumann wrote:

> Starting to plan a cruise into the San Juans for next summer on a P19. I'm
> interested in the experiences of other Potterers in these waters. Since I
> will start somewhere in the south sound, I'm particularly interested in pros
> and cons regarding the three alternative routes to Rosario straits;

> (1)across the strait of Juan DeFuca along the west coast of Whidby
Island,

Long way over pretty open water. Advantage would be if you find a good
launch way up north near Port Townsend...less sailing to get to your
destination. Would only do it if the weather were perfect.

(2)through Deception pass

My personal favorite. You really need to watch the deception pass
current tables...but the area East of the pass is worth the effort. I
like it as much as the San Juans. The color of the water in Skagit Bay
from the glacial silt as well as the islands and bays in that area are
really nice. Well sheltered all the way to the pass then I would head
across Rosiaro Strait to Lopez Pass. Check your charts, it's between
Lopez and Decatur Islands. You can wait at Cornet Bay if the weather is
bad or your timing is off for going thru Deception Pass.

(3) up the Swinomish channel.

The Fallback. You can make a last minute decision between this and
Deception Pass, but except for a visit to LaConor, it is not nearly as
nice as #2. The distance across Rosiaro Strait to Thacher Pass is less,
but total distance is more and the boat traffic is much greater. I would
only do it this way if the weather were pretty bad.

> Finally, I'm also
> interested in public boat launch ramps on the Kitsap Pennisula from Gig
> Harbor to port Townsend. The further north I haul it, the closer I am to the
> sailing I want to do.

Can't help you on this one. I'm on the other side of the Sound. If you
decide to launch on this side, let me know, I can help there.

> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Dick Neumann
> Sea Bean, P19

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO (Oct, 83)
Lake Stevens, WA
Sailing Northern Puget Sound and North Cascades Mountain Lakes