Re: Motorboats VS Sailboats

Ron Magen (quahog@access1.net)
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 20:23:52 -0500

I VERY MUCH disagree with the notion that "sailboats are not built to take the
pounding, etc., etc.".

My "if money were no object" boat is a Pacific Seacraft 'FLICKA' or 'DIANA' (spl
?). Maybe a bit 'stubby' like a Potter, but very solidly built, traditional full
hull form, highly seaworthy Bingham designs capable of circumnavigation.

A vast number of the 'fast powerboats' CAN'T TAKE the 'pounding' of even near shore
ocean areas, nor are they truly seaworthy for 'outside' distances. Many of the
larger 'power cruisers' have broad flat LOW sterns, which make the cockpit
vulnerable to being 'pooped' in any kind of seawall. I've seen some that have a
'rear' that looks like a 'motel room terrace'; the stern itself is a full width
sliding glass door, with a platform about a foot off the water, enclosed by an open
'wrought' aluminium railing !!

As far as 'trouble' is concerned, they are what keep the marina mechanics in
business. I can't count the times I've had comments from the 'power guys' about how
amazed they are that my 6 Hp 'kicker' starts on the second pull {the first 'primes'
it}, or the times I've loaned tools. Not to mention how many a} never leave their
slips, or b} sit in the workyard month after month. My 'trouble' is simply
Preventative Maintenance procedures, rigging additions to make my wife feel less
afraid and the boat handle better, or keeping the boat clean and covered. I also do
it myself rather than 'just throw money at it' which gives me pleasure in itself.
{That's also why I build wooden boats}. To some extent, that's the part Joanne
likes , too. She made the 'boat cover' from an old car cover (original cost about
$20.00), made the Sunbrella headsail bag and the sheet bags.

Maybe we're just to cheap to own a powerboat; but I just may be building a
"mini-tug" or small "Lobsterboat" over the winter to find out.

Regards,
Ron (& Joanne) Magen