RE: Potter 15 or Daysailer?

william pitts (william@iland.net)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:35:02 -0800

----------
From: Sayer, Chris
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 3:55 PM
To: 'Karl A Rohrer'; wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: RE: Potter 15 or Daysailer?

Karl -

Being in a similar situation to you, we went with the Potter 15. We have two
boys, 9 and 3. The trade-offs:

Pros - the cabin makes a nice, safe place to play or take a nap for small
kids. As the nicest sailing often happens around naptime, that was very nice
for parents as well. A training potty fits very well into the space
provided. The cabin also provides some shelter from the sun, and ventilation
appears to be pretty good. It is difficult (but not impossible) for small
hands to get into the running rigging from the cabin.

Cons - the price of a cabin on a 15 foot boat is a tighter cockpit. If
everybody wants to be in the cockpit, it will be tight. Handling the sheets
and tiller with no elbow room (or tacking with someone sitting on the
jibsheet) can be a chore.

The most important command on our boat is "Get in the cabin!" I send the
kids to "general quarters" to clear the decks whenever things get busy.
Luckily for us, the 3 year old is very happy in the cabin, and the 9 year
old enjoys going up to the foredeck. The companionway "step" also makes a
good seat.

The ECPA might be able to hook you up with someone to examine their boat. We
certainly love ours, but I would suggest that you have a look if at all
possible. I believe that the Potter 15's ease of trailering, ease of
rigging, and compact size far outweigh the limitation of cockpit space. I'd
do it again, no question.

Chris Sayer
P15, #2380, Akala

How wonderfull Chris,
you have ascertained in one moment the most important thing
we will ever know about sailing or about ourselves.
william@iland.net P152001 "Small Wonder"