Re: Concrete by centerboard

TillyLucy@aol.com
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:57:32 EST

Hi John,

I am familiar with both the concrete blocks and the white painted
centerboard. Oddly enough, the block on the port side of my boat was loose
and the one on the starboard side still adhered, just like yours. Now I use
them as wheel chocks for the trailer. On my boat, they were not exactly glued
in but had been set in polyester resin on top of some chopped-strand
fiberglass mat. The starboard side came out intact with a little
crowbar-persuasion. I like having them out since they blocked access to the
recess in front of the keel where water can accumulate. I think the purpose
of the blocks as ballast is obvious. The product literature from that era
specifies 100 lbs. of ballast - My centerboard weighed in in the low
seventies and those concrete blocks weigh 13 lbs. apiece, bringing the total
close to the advertised amount. The literature still says 100 lbs. but my
understanding is that there are no longer any concrete blocks used - does
anyone know the weight of the centerboard in a recent Potter? Is it thicker?

If I understand Potter history correctly, the very first Potters came from
the factory with galvanized centerboards as do the most recent ones. In
between, in what I like to refer to as the "minimalist" Joe Edwards Potter
days, they were painted (like most other boats - Catalina 22, Cal 20,
etc.....). I removed mine, stripped the paint, ground out the rust and had it
"hot dip" galvanized. I would recommend this to anyone who sails in salt
water, simply because it is next to impossible to effectively rinse off the
centerboard on a P-15 with the boat on the trailer. Once the board is
withdrawn into the centerboard trunk there is pretty much zero access to it.
Mine will lower only an inch or two before it hits the rear crossmember on
the trailer.

If you'd like details on removing the centerboard, email me privately, the
story has been told so many times on the list I'm sure most folks are sick of
it.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA