Re: Towing of P-19

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:16:40 EST

In a message dated 11/18/99 10:36:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
BOIVINRA@ENE.GOV.ON.CA writes:

> Specifically: there appeared to be a line from the
> mast, at the top of the crutch, to each of the stern cleats. I'm assuming
> that these lines are in place to add some stability while the boat is being
> towed. I haven't been doing this when towing the boat. Does anyone
> else add these extra lines during towing and would you recommend that I
> begin to do it? Your comments are always welcome.

Hi Ray,

We do something very similar when we tow. We an attach an "industrial
strength" bungee from the top of the crutch to the stern cleat, one on each
side. Have you ever seen how much the mast sways from side to side when you
hit a bump or go over a curb? The bungees keep it from swaying and
potentially bending the mast crutch. The line you're talking about would
serve the same purpose, I believe.

We also use a bungee to make sure the crutch can't bounce up out of the
gudgeons. We leave it in until the mast is fully raised. We learned to do
this after an episode in which the backstay caught on the crutch and pulled
it out of the gudgeons during mast raising.

Fair winds, Judy B
WWP19 #266 "Redwing"
SF Bay, CA