Re: Concrete by centerboard

TillyLucy@aol.com
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:51:47 EST

Kent,

As you suggest, there is probably some effect due to the windage of the
masthead float. I haven't made any calculations but, frankly, the boat
doesn't "feel" that different. I generally forget that it's up there. Based
on my experience in the past with the Potter going to windward, during the
race I was intentionally heeling the boat by sitting to leeward. I do the
opposite going down wind, heeling the boat to windward moves the center of
effort closer to the center of resistance and results in less rudder drag
from unwanted (downwind) weather helm.

If you are referring to the pictures that Glenn and Scott took on Sunday
(with the gray sky in the background) of Harry and I - well, we had PLENTY of
wind. Not long after the pictures were taken, I reefed the main and then
subsequently dropped the jib. When compared to Harry's boat, my boat ALWAYS
heels more, float or no float. The center of effort is much lower on Harry's
lateen rig and he has something like 90 lbs. of batteries in the bilge. He's
also a more talented sailor.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA